Sunday, 15 November 2015

Communicating through photographs

I had heard of both Flickr and Instagram before looking at this task but I selected to try Instragram for a couple of reasons. Firstly I was put off by having to register my phone details with Flickr in order to access it and secondly I believe Instagram is more appealing to a younger market and working in a school library I need to be using social media platforms that my users are more likely to engage with.

After downloading the app to my phone and looking for some library and book related people to follow it quickly became apparent that this is a young platform. I know it is fast growing but it seems like the user base is not that large yet. Either that or it just hasn't been adopted by many in the library/book world.  For example the British Library has only posted 95 times and has a mere 8448 followers whereas they have 1.1 million followers on Twitter.

Which brings me on to my next point.... I'm struggling to see between the use of Twitter and Pinterest what exactly Instagram offers that will add value. Pinterest is brilliant for the visual side of things and easier to use than Instagram. Twitter is invaluable for making professional contacts and conversation. With the ability to post photos on Twitter and the fact that there are infinitely more users to engage with I think these are my preferred platforms.

I also find a combination of words AND pictures to be more appealing. You can quickly assess whether it is something you are interested in. With the Instagram app you have just an image to click on. You pretty much don't know what you're going to get. For example a picture of a book jacket could be a book review, a competition to win the book, someone just saying they have bought the book, someone confirming the release date of the book, an announcement that the book has won an award. That is an awful lot of speculative clicking on lots of images to actually find out anything.

So despite starting this task quite optimistically, I have found that I am unlikely to be one of the school libraries setting the trend for using Instagram.

Perhaps I should have tried Flickr after all.

1 comment:

  1. Very good reflection on the use of Instagram, Rachel. It's always informative to hear about the reasons why an individual might pick one tool over another. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete